If you would like to experience monsoon at its best, Hampta pass in Himalayas is the best place to be at. Stream crossings, beautiful forest trails, challenging and thrilling rocky trails, waterfall crossings, frozen glaciers, super chilled river crossings, Camp sites (covered with fog) which are near to waterfalls and river, Snow covered Rohtang Pass, Chandra Taal lake and much more memories for a life time.
Locals believe that HAMPTA PASS is the pass to heaven 🙂
I did this trek with TTH batch July 1st, 2018.
We reached Manali one day before. One day rest before the trek is always recommended for a good trek experience, as our body needs enough sleep and rest before the trek. Also, if you get time you can explore Manali Mall road shopping and sightseeing.
DAY 1: Manali to Chika via Jobra
Altitude: – Jobra 9,800ft to Chika 10,100ft
- Reporting was at Nehru Park Manali (Rambagh Park), near mall road around 12 PM
- 2-hour drive to Jobra (TT or Tata Sumo) from Manali. Drive was beautiful with nature views. (Cab fare included with TTH package)
- After vehicle drop, we did a 2-3 KM trek from there to our camp.
Trek started through beautiful forest and nature welcomed us with a cool hug, with its greenery.
It took around 3 hours to reach Chika camp.Our campsite was near to an awesome waterfall. We went just below the waterfall by walking and spend some time there. It was so calm and chilling that you will forget everything and just admire the beauty of nature.
Camp Site Chika: Day 1
View was awesome by evening, as clouds started painting the sky and trees.
DAY 2: Chika to Balu ka Ghera
Altitude:- 10,100ft to 11,900ft
8-9 KM, 6 Hr trek
- Packed Lunch
- Terrain started to challenge us, and the views turned beautiful and breathtaking.
- We had around 8-10 awesome stream crossings and a waterfall crossing, which was again a thrilling experience.
- It was slippery and drizzling throughout the day.
- Comparing Indiahikes and TTH itinerary, indiahikes have split 1 extra day for reaching till Balu ka Ghera , which would be good for beginners, but also add 1 extra day.
- ie. TTH reaches Balu ka Ghera on Day 2, while India hikes reaches Balu ka Ghera on Day3
River Crossing,Hampta Pass Trek :
River crossing was such an Adrenalin rush and one of the highlights of Hampta pass trek. Water was super chilled, and one cannot stand for more than few seconds because of freezing cold. We held each other’s hands to handle the water force and crossed the river safely. Trek leaders and guides were really helpful and took care of us. It was one of the most memorable moment.
Waterfall crossing was also a special experience. Chilled water got sprayed all over us and was really refreshing to continue the trek.
Balu ka Ghera Camp site: Day 2, Hampta Pass Trek
Beautiful flowers by the river side of our camps.
Day 3: Balu Ka Ghera to Siagoru crossing Hampta Pass
Altitude: – 11,900ft to 14,100ft (Hampta Pass) to 12,900ft
8-10 KM – 10 hr trek
- Summit Day. Summit point was surrounded by Rocks. It was drizzling, freezing cold and windy. View from summit was not that great and exciting as expected.
- Tough Day
- No water point on the way (Depends on the snow condition)
- We covered some glaciers and difficult terrains with rocks
- India hikes camp comes before the tth may be around 30-40 mins earlier, which might be a little relief after a long day, for most of trekkers.
- It was drizzling and slippery during the trek.
- Descending became challenging due to slippery nature of rocks.
Day 4: Siagoru to Chatru
Altitude:- 12,900ft to 11,000ft
5 KM, 5hr trek
- 2 to 3 water sources of water on the way
- Hot lunch at camp in mid way.
Chandrataal Lake :
Afternoon we headed towards the famous Chandra Taal lake in a tempo traveler.(Inclusive with TTH charges)
After spending some time and taking pics at this beautiful lake, we headed back in tempo traveler to our camp site.
The night was so dark without any clouds, pollution and was perfect for photography. Many of us took out cameras and explored Night photography. Also, there was interesting discussions about galaxy and stars.
Day 5: Chatru to Manali via Rothang Pass
Time taken 4-6 hour
– Breakfast at camp site
– Lunch on the way (not included in the cost)
– Rothang pass road is a very busy route; driving time may increase due to of heavy traffic. Make your further travel plan from Manali after 6:00 pm
Thanks to TTH, our trek leaders & guides, cooks, helpers and entire energetic group for making it a memorable trip 🙂
- One good thing about this trek is that it is Manali – Manali.
- So, you can plan to cover Kullu-Manali-Manikaran-Kasol-Tosh after the trek.
- Reduce the bag weight as much u can, 6-7 is recommended. As the bag/dresses get wet in rain, the bag weight increases and it will make your trek more difficult
- Try to reach one day earlier in Manali. One day rest before trek always helps to give our body enough rest to prepare for a good trek.
- No electricity throughout the trek.
- All day’s stay is in tents. Water will be available in toilets all days.
- It is not a snow trek. During July, chances of seeing snow is very less. During the last day there was a small snow patch, where we could do a small slide.
- From Delhi take Himachal Govt Bus Himusta AC Volvo. It was very comfortable, and we reached on time without much delays.You can book the tickets from Redbus.
- Trekking Gear: I strongly suggest not to compromise on your trekking gears quality. Just think of a situation, where your shoes got damaged and you are not able walk OR You don’t have a good enough jacket to withstand cold, and the temperature goes below 5 degree.
- One stick is enough, so that you can give support with another hand while trekking in difficult terrains.
- Poncho experience was horrible. The buttons kept coming off in wind and you have to keep holding the bottom part while trekking in difficult terrains.In my opinion rain cot + bag cover would be a better option.
Hence, Please consider investing in good quality gears. It will be totally worth making your trek a good and memorable experience.
Good trekking Gear options :
GOPRO will be a great addition for your trek :
I have bought it from https://www.imastudent.com/gopro-hero7-black-sports-action-camera
I got it delivered in Bangalore via FedEx, the very next day I ordered. Genuine Gopro and accessories. They give 2 years warranty also. Its an amazing website to get best deals for all electronics items. Check it out, I am sure you will be excited 🙂
Thanks for reading and hope you trekked HAMPTA PASS along with us, through the story and pictures. Please subscribe and share with your friends for more interesting blogs including ANDAMAN & Europe ?
Mountains are the beginning and the end of all natural scenery
It’s better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times
Feel free to let me know your comments/queries. Will be happy to help you 🙂
You might like :