Transfer from railway station to Sam sand dunes, exploring Kuldhara village, Jain temple
- Explore Kuldhara village, Jain temple on the way and head to Sam sand dunes camp.
- Some have late check ins, so make sure to sync your arrival time with them. If they agree for good price you can have lunch from there or on the way.
Check-in to desert camp in Sam sand dunes, Jaisalmer
- Here are some good camping options right in front of sam sand dunes
Have Evening tea and head to
Sun set camel safari
- Sand dunes are around 200 meters from the road. Usually free camel safari offered by hotel guys include this 15-20 mins safari to the sunset point.
- If you you would like more you need to pay the camel boy accordingly. 200,300,500 etc. You can bargain as per need. But wait, you can do this next day in better sand dunes.
After 15 mins, we started getting bit pain in lower back so we happily enjoyed the dunes and sun set.
Enjoy Kalbelia dance, Dinner and Camp Fire in the camp
Transport between Jaisalmer town and back would be around 1500-2000
Some camps include this. Discuss with the camps and bargain as possible.
- Early morning around 6 am go for Sunrise jeep safari. Its Rs 1500 for jeep I think. Anantara includes this in the package.
- Must experience to enjoy sand dunes. Jeep ride of around 15-20 minutes to the inner sand dunes.
- Enjoy beautiful sun rise
- Here also you have camel safaris available
- 250/ small round, 450/ big round around 15-20 mins. Good desert surrounding 360 degree. So if you wish for a longer camel ride, this is the best place.
Transfer to hotel in Jaisalmer town.
- After breakfast, get transferred to hotel in Jaisalmer town.
Jaisalmer city sight seeing
Jaisalmer Fort is the second oldest fort in Rajasthan, built in 1156 AD by the Rajput Rawal (ruler) Jaisal from whom it derives its name,and stood at the crossroads of important trade routes (including the ancient Silk road).
The fort’s massive yellow sandstone walls are a tawny lion color during the day, fading to honey-gold as the sun sets, thereby camouflaging the fort in the yellow desert. For this reason it is also known as the Sonar Quila or Golden Fort.
The fort stands amidst the sandy expanse of the great Thar Desert on Trikuta Hill
It is believed to be one of the very few “living forts” in the world (such as Carcassonne, France), as nearly one fourth of the old city’s population still resides within the fort
In 2013, at the 37th session of the World Heritage Committee held in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Jaisalmer Fort, along with 5 other forts of Rajasthan, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the group Hill Forts of Rajasthan.
Patwon ki Haveli
- The Patwon Ji ki Haveli is an interesting piece of Architecture and is the most important among the havelis in Jaisalmer.
- This is precisely because of two things, first that it was the first haveli erected in Jaisalmer and second, that it is not a single haveli but a cluster of 5 small havelis.
- garden complex
- situated on a small hill
- The first row has a few cenotaphs. There are many more cenotaphs, which are accessible by climbing the hills. The cenotaphs are of different sizes and carved of sandstone.
- There are cenotaphs for rulers, queens, princes and other royal family members.
- Man-made water reservoir, the Gadisar Lake was once the only source of water in Jaisalmer.
- Constructed by the first ruler of Jaisalmer, Raja Rawal Jaisal, it is surrounded by temples and ghats (banks).
- One can spend some peaceful time in the serene surroundings of the lake or choose to go boating as well.
Entry charges : 160/person for a museum and palace . Was ok ok. Can skip if you don’t have time.
If you have time, you can consider visiting Jaisalmer War Museum.
You can discuss with hotel and get auto. Auto charges were around Rs : 500 for half day city places. For including bada bagh, Jaisalmer War Museum it would be extra as they are bit out of town
Enjoy awesome dinner at the roof top restaurant Turban. its in the same building of hotel Swan Haveli
Best hotel to stay in Jaisalmer city
- We stayed in Swan Haveli and it was nice. The view of fort in night from roof top restaurant was amazing
- For budget option : Hotel Fotiya. They can arrange Kf resort for 4000/day including transport. After booking you can contact via booking.com as needed.