Port Blair is the capital city of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Port Blair is your entryway to the rich Beauty and Serenity that the Islands have to offer with rugged coastline and tropical forest. Explore its many Museums, discover the Flora and Fauna and the Rich Marine Life, or simply take a stroll at the Marina Park to enjoy the sweet Sea Breeze. Port Blair is popular for the infamous Cellular Jail National Memorial, which was once a prison where many freedom fighters and people of other nationals were imprisoned.
Port Blair airport
Tourists land in port blair airport – Veer Savarkar International Airport (Code: IXZ)
Port Blair to havelock
For traveling from port blair to havelock, there are 2 options
- Private ferry – Faster and convenient
- Govt ferry – Its cheaper. Can be booked directly, but it could be crowded and also the availability is not guaranteed.
Private Ferry tickets can be booked online from GreenOcean official website. Keep checking the availability here. Ferry bookings are very important as this is the only means of transfer between the islands. There are 3 different types of seats Royal,Luxury & Economy.Please see the end of blog for Which seats to book in Green Ocean for best view and comfort. You can consider Makruz also. As per the info from a localite, it seems to get cancelled often compared to green ocean in case of minor bad weather
Hotels in Port Blair(Budget Home stays)
Check out best rated hotels in Port Blair with free cancellation
- Sea Lounge,Junglighat . Rooms were spacious and clean. Good stay in budget.
- Near to Airport : Andaman Castle Home-stay. It is walk-able and stay was fine.
- Sunnywale : Good budget homestay.
You can check out reviews and best deals in easily:
Best places to visit in Port Blair
JollyBouy Island & Wandoor Beach
- Provides good views and water sports activities.
- About 30 kms from port blair
- We need to get in a boat from Wandoor & go to Jollybouy Island.
- Entry charge 50 + Boat 950
- At the Southern apex of South Andaman, about 30kms away from all noise and chaos of Port Blair, nestled is a small village known as Wandoor with meager amount of shops and options of accommodation for the tourists but beautiful expanses of blue, pristine beaches along its stretch.
- A small cluster of about 17 islands and open sea creeks, around the area of Wandoor have been delegated as Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park in order to preserve the oceanic existence, coral reefs and the rest of the Flora and Fauna.
- The southernmost tip of South Andaman Island situated at a distance of 28 Kms from Port Blair. Frequent bus service are available from Port Blair. It is famous for bird watching, sunset view, panoramic scenic beauties, and many colours of oceanic view. Swimming can be done at Chidiyatappu.
- Safety places boards are erected in Chidiyatappu. But beware of crocodiles. The biological park at Chidiyatappu is the added attraction. There is a Forest Guest House run and maintained by Forest Department, is under Chief Wildlife Warden, Haddo (Phone No. 03192-233549) who can be contacted to reserve accommodation for stay.
- Chidiya Tapu is mainly known as Sunset point which is on the same side as wandoor.
- But due to the bad weather and clouds, we couldn’t witness clear sunset.
- It is around 20 km from port Blair. Last 10 kms is through forest and the route is isolated. We went in a 2 wheeler, but considering the bad roads and isolated nature of the route, it is better to hire a cab and go.
- We didn’t feel it is worth the efforts. But, you can give it a try if you have enough time in schedule.
DSLR : Canon 800d is a good beginner option
Cellular Jail + Light & Sound show
- This astounding national memorial is a crucial part of Indian history of freedom struggle. This place was one of the most fear-striking colonial prisons to be ever constructed. This was the dreaded place where the British would send the Indian rebels who raised their voices against the colonial rule.
- Since it was located in one of the most remote and inaccessible parts of India, escape was near to impossible. Also, the jail was constructed in a unique way to have maximum security. The infamous prison was also called ‘Kala Pani’ which roughly translates to “death waters”.
- The prisoners here were often subjected to torturous tasks and later hanged when they were at their strength’s end. The place gets its name from the 693 cells which held the prisoners, day and night.
- For timings,entry ticket and more details please check AndamanGovtWebsite
- Regarding Light & Sound show there was mixed reviews. It is having loud voices and smokes all over giving a feel of the prisoners life in the jail, which is bit scary at times. Sometimes we can feel the trees in the jail are also coming alive.
- Famous for: Photography, monuments, sight-seeing
- Entrance Fee: Adults- 50 and children-25. No extra charge for
- Visiting Time: 09:00 AM to 12.00 Noon and 02.00 PM to 05.00 PM.
Closed on Mondays and Holidays.
- Visit Duration: 2 to 3 hours
- It is a pride project of the Indian Navy.
- It is sectioned into five separate portions each unique in its setting and style.
- The Samudrika Marine Museum has an inbuilt aquarium which features the regional varieties of marine life in the Andamans.
- The Samudrika Marine Museum does not charge entrance fees for senior citizens and handicapped. All you need to submit is a valid ID proof.
- It consists of many sections like coral life, types of tribes etc. You can also shop for Andaman manufactured products here.
- Situated opposite Andaman Teal House, Delanipur, Port Blair, this museum create awareness on various aspects of oceanic environment and houses a vast collection of cells, corals and a few species of colorful fishes of the sea around the islands.
The Anthropological museum in Port Blair started in the year 1975-76, is an ethnographic museum. It showcases the four Negrito Tribes of the Andaman viz. the Jarawas, Sentinelese, Great Andamanese and the Onges and two Mongoloid Tribes of the Nicobar viz. the Nicobarese and the Shompens. This museum is closed on Mondays and Govt. Holidays.
Timings: 09:00 AM to 01.00 PM and 01.30 PM to 04.30 PM.
Chatham Saw Mill
- Famous for: History, Landmark
- Entrance Fee:10 per person and Rs.50 for guided tour
- Visiting Time: 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM (Except Mondays)
- Visit Duration: 1 hour to 2 hours
- Chatham Saw Mill is one of the prime attractions in the capital, Port Blair, of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Being one of the biggest and oldest in Asia, this structure has witnessed a lot of history.
- Constructed by the colonial regime in 1883, this was the main source of timber, with their raw material being obtained from the dense forests which surrounded the Chatham Island. The mill was destroyed during the rule of the Japanese, who had invaded the islands during World War II and bombed it.
- The island was then reclaimed after World War II and soon, the mill saw its rebirth once people started settling down in the islands and civilizations started spreading. The functioning of the mill is one of great precision and is a treat to watch.
- The Museum set within the surroundings of the mill, has got a great collection of wood based work and carvings that take our breath away with the intricate designing which is done on it
Ross & North Bay
- Can be avoided, as Jollybouy and other islands give better views. Ross Island has some historical building remainings. that’s it. North Bay is known for Sea Walking and Glass bottom rides.
- If you are doing Scuba in Havelock, you can avoid sea walking as it wont be as exciting as scuba. Glass bottom ride is not that good and mostly is marketing gimmicks.
Corbyn Cove Beach
You can AVOID if you don’t have time. It is not that clean and so good beach. You will find good jet sky ride experience here as below. You can also find similar rides in Elephant Beach, Havelock too.
If you have more days and would like to explore all options in port blair you can refer the below links :
This Post Has 2 Comments
Pingback: Andaman and nicobar islands - Trip guide - Well planned trips for U
Pingback: Havelock Island - Well planned trips for U