Ranthambore National Park is one of the biggest and most renowned national park in Northern India. The park is located in the Sawai Madhopur district of southeastern Rajasthan, which is about 130 km from Jaipur. Being considered as one of the famous and former hunting grounds of the Maharajas of Jaipur, today the Ranthambore National Park terrain is major wildlife tourist attraction spot that has pulled the attention of many wildlife photographers and lovers in this destination.
How to Reach Ranthambore
- Nearest Airport (190 km, around 3 hours drive ) : Jaipur International Airport (Code : JAI)
- Narest Railway Station (Around 15 km) : Sawai Madhopur ( Code : SWM )
Best Time to Visit
- Winter : October to March & Summer : April to June, are the best time for planning a visit to Ranthambore National Park.
- As the tigers come out for water in summer, generally summers are considered as the best time for more chances of spotting.
- We could spot beautiful tiger On March 1st too.
- The park remains closed during the monsoon season i.e, from July to September.
- Book from Ranthambore National Park official website for best rates
- Need to plan early to make sure seats are available, as generally seats are reserved by the tour agencies.
- We didn’t get Gypsy, so we booked Canter(Open van). Even canter was also good and can go almost all the path where jeep goes.
- Book evening safari as possible, because due to the high temperature evenings are more likely for spotting.
- Zones 3,4,6 in order during the Feb 2020 was best suggested zones for spotting. You can check once with the stay, how is the sighting pattern in recent times before booking. Generally Zones 1-6 is good for sighting.
- Drivers are randomly assigned. Cant be chosen.
How to Book safari tickets for Ranthambore National Park
- Book from Ranthambore National Park official website for best rates.
- Steps :
- Register with email/aadhar etc
- Applications -> Forest & Wild Life
- Wildlife ticket booking services -> Advanced wildlife ticket booking
- Select protected area : Ranthambore National Park – Sawai madhopur
- Select Zone, date, Gypsy/Canter(van)
- Steps :
- After taking online tickets, it has to be released at the office giving id card details. This can be done directly/through your stay. Just share your ticket and id details with stay.
- Once released, vehicle will pick us from the stay in ranthanmbore.
How much does safari tickets actually cost for Ranthambore National Park, if booked from official website?
- Gypsy : 1137/seat including vehicle,safari,guide fees etc
- Canter: 641/seat
Photos from Zone 4, Evening Safari
Zone 4 is considered good for spotting, as it is the intersection of multiple zones.
Photos from Zone 3, Morning Safari
- Zone 3 is considered as the most beautiful zone with 3 lakes.
- Most of the documentaries of Tigress Machli were shot here.
- As of now, Arrowhead (T-84) with her cubs rule here.
Where to Stay
We stayed in Ranthambore heritage haveli and it was nice. Take stay in near by area like Khilchipur, so that the safari vehicle will pick you directly from stay.
Please find more stay options in Khilchipur,Ranthambore
How many safari zones are there in Ranthambore?
What are the best zones for tiger sightings in Ranthambore?
- Zones 3,4,6 in order was suggested during Feb 2020. You can check once with the stay, how is the sighting pattern in recent times.
- The zones from 01-06 are the premium ones for tiger sighting in Ranthambore National Park.
How many tigers are in Ranthambore Tiger Reserve?
More than 60 tigers are there in Ranthambore Tiger Reserve.
What are the most famous tigers of Ranthambore?
As of now, Arrowhead (T-84) and Noor (T-39) are the most famous tigress of Ranthambore National Park.
What charges do I have to pay for videography and photography?
There is no fees for photography but for videography, you need to pay a certain amount which varies year to year.
What documents should I carry with me for & during the safari?
- Indian tourists can carry any valid ID proof like a copy of voter card, PAN card, driving license and passport.
- International tourists have to only carry a copy of their passport during the safari in Ranthambore National Park.
Will I get an exclusive or shared Jeep Safari?
The jeep requirement for the wildlife safari totally depends on client’s requirement. One can either book the entire 6-seater jeep or choose to opt for sharing jeep safari.
Apart from the safari, what else is there to do at the Park?
Besides wildlife safari in Ranthambore National Park, you can visit the other nearby tourist attractions like Ranthambore Fort, Jogi Mahal, Village Women Craft, Ranthambore School of Art and more.