Vintgar Gorge is a mesmerizing place to visit in Slovenia. Walkign through the trail you can feel the nature so closely.
What is Vintgar Gorge?
- Vintgar Gorge is a beautiful gorge located in Triglav National Park.
- The gorge has been carved out by the Radovna River, a crystal-clear river that looks emerald green or aqua depending upon the lighting conditions.
- You will cross the river in some places over the bridge, which is real fun and superb for clicking pics.
- The 1.6-kilometre long gorge is carved amidst the glorious vertical walls of Hom and Boršt hills, and it is highlighted by the Radovna River and its waterfalls, pools and rapids
Vintgar Gorge is one of the best experiences in Slovenia. So make sure to add it to your bucket list.
How to Visit Vintgar Gorge, Slovenia? How do I get to Vintgar Gorge?
Distance: 1.6 km one-way (3.2 km round trip)
Location: Vingar Gorge is located 5 km northwest of Bled (10 minutes by car)
Price: Adults €10; Children 6-15 years €2; parking €5 for cars, €10 for campervans
- Vehicle parking available near the entrance. Make sure follow the directions boards points downwards (double check with map directions too) as that is the main entrance from where the walks starts.
- There is a second lot located uphill from the gorge and from here it is about a 10 minute walk to get to the entrance (downhill to the gorge, uphill to get back to your car after your visit).
Hours of Operation: 7 am to 7 pm during the summer months; visit the official website for updated hours the remainder of the year
There is a shuttle bus that runs from Bled to Vintgar Gorge several times a day (1€) from June 30 to September 16.
How long do you need at vintgar Gorge?
I would suggest to keep at-least 3-4 hours for comfortable round trip walking from entrance to the last Sum falls
Best Time to Visit Vintgar Gorge
The spring (late march to may) and fall months(From September to November) are the best times to visit Vintgar Gorge. Crowds are manageable and the weather is pleasant.
The worst months to visit the gorge are during peak season, the months of July and August.
The best time of day to visit Vintgar Gorge is at opening time and 3-4 hours before closing time. The worst time of day to visit Vintgar Gorge is midday, between 10 am and 2 pm, when lots of tourists arrive.
Carved by the Radovna River, it is the continuation of the Radovna Valley.
Walk through the gorge and admire waterfalls, pools, erosion pots and other masterpieces of nature.
The sheer canyon walls are 50 to 100 meters (160 to 330 ft) high, with a total slope measuring about 250 m (820 ft)
1.6 km walk one way is easy to walk. So suitable for kids and family too.
Discovery of the Vintgar gorge
- Vintgar Gorge was discovered in 1891 by photographer Benedikt Lergetporer and Gorje mayor and cartographer Jakob Žumer.
- It was impassable and inaccessible in its natural form, but due to the tourist development of Bled, more than 500 metres of bridges and galleries were built in 1893 and the gorge was regulated and open for public.
- Galleries are called after the person who discovered the gorge, Žumer, thus they are called Žumer Galleries; a plaque is also visible at a rock wall to commemorate him.
- Due to its natural beauty, Vintgar has been ranked among the most important tourist sights in Slovenia, the number of visitors has been increasing every year.
The stream has created many erosive features such as pools and rapids, and terminates in the picturesque 13 m (43 ft) Šum Falls (literally, ‘noisy falls’), the largest river waterfall in Slovenia.
Bohinj Railway Bridge
- Vintgar also features two very interesting elements built by man. The dam, from where the water runs to the small Vintgar hydro power plant below Šum, and the stone arch bridge of the Bohinj railway, built in 1905, which crosses the 53 metres wide gorge 33.5 metres above the path.
- If you are lucky you can see the train driving across the bridge, while you are visiting the gorge.
A study trail runs across the gorge and the wooden bridges as well as Žumer galleries, which ends with the mighty 13 metres high Šum river waterfall, one of the three river waterfalls in Slovenia.
Its nature untouched at its best and I am sure you will enjoy the time. Must Visit
- We reached here evening. So the crowd was less.
- If possible try to reach early morning to avoid crowd and also to have good lighting conditions for photography.
- Best time : Opening hours else 3-4 hours before closing hours
- Make sure to check official website for timings
- Make sure to keep your tickets safe. Its electronic machine checking. So if the ticket is lost, you cant get help inside where in the end also there is a machine checker near to the falls.
BACK TO SLOVENIA MASTER GUIDE
This Post Has 2 Comments
Pingback: Slovenia – Simply Beautiful – Well planned trips for U
Pingback: Slovenia - Simply Beautiful - Well planned trips for U